By Henry R. West
John Stuart Mill used to be the major British thinker of the 19th century and his recognized essay Utilitarianism is the main influential assertion of this philosophical process. Henry West's advent to utilitarianism serves as either a statement to, and interpretation of, the textual content.
Read or Download An Introduction to Mill's Utilitarian Ethics PDF
Similar ethics & morality books
The aim of this booklet is to signify how the moral feel of people is probably going to have built during evolution. Many so-called Darwinians have obvious this improvement as "merely" one other mechanism within the fight for survival. they've got argued that morality, correctly understood, is not anything except a kind of enlightened codification of self-interest, a view that had already been recommend by way of Hobbes and by means of Bentham.
Der vorliegende Band enthält den textual content der Vorlesung, die Husserl unter dem Titel "Einführung in die Phänomenologie der Erkenntnis" in Göttingen im Sommersemester 1909 gehalten hat. Im ersten Teil dieser Vorlesung setzt Husserl sich mit dem Verhältnis von "allgemeiner Phänomenologie und phänomenologischer Philosophie" auseinander.
Ethical Dilemmas is the second one quantity of gathered essays by means of the eminent ethical thinker Philippa Foot, accumulating the simplest of her paintings from the past due Seventies to the Nineties. It fills the distance among her well-known 1978 assortment Virtues and Vice (now reissued) and her acclaimed monograph common Goodness, released in 2001.
First serialized in 1914, Social Ethics makes an attempt to persuade readers that individualist ethics have did not make the area a secure position for kids, and that we can't growth to an absolutely social ethics until we comprehend the morality of collective motion from a particularly sociological perspective.
- Sentimentalism, Ethics and the Culture of Feeling
- Etica demostrada segun el orden geométrico
- The Tradition via Heidegger: An Essay on the Meaning of Being in the Philosophy of Martin Heidegger
- Moral Relativism: A Reader
- A Review of the Principal Questions in Morals
Additional info for An Introduction to Mill's Utilitarian Ethics
391. , 393–4. Letter to William George Ward, spring of 1849, The Later Letters of John Stuart Mill 1849–1873, 26. , 30. 39 P1: GnI CY255B-05 0 521 828325 September 18, 2003 13:49 An Introduction to Mill’s Utilitarian Ethics Mill does not cite it as an example in this essay, but one of his greatest concerns was the problem of overpopulation. 30 “Poverty, like most social evils,” says Mill, “exists because men [and women] follow their brute instincts without due consideration. , the human] is not necessarily a brute.
223. 18 P1: JPK CY255B-04 0 521 828325 September 18, 2003 13:44 Mill’s Life and Philosophical Background more active and intelligent than even the most benevolent despotism, cultivating public sympathies and stimulating people to look at questions from impersonal points of view. But he wanted to ensure that the voice of minorities would be heard in Parliament and that representatives not simply reflect the ignorance and prejudices of an uneducated majority. ” In Mill’s version, it is a scheme of preferential voting for persons on a list of candidates, without restriction to geographical representation.
West, “Consequentialism,” in The Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Supplement, 346–7. For an introductory discussion of the distinction between deontological and teleological theories, see William K. Frankena, Ethics, 13ff. Elsewhere Mill quotes with approval from his father’s “Fragment on Mackintosh”: “But all action, as Aristotle says, (and all mankind agree with him) is for an end. Actions are essentially means . . ,” in James Mill, Analysis of the Phenomena of the Human Mind, 262, n. 49. 31 P1: GnI CY255B-05 0 521 828325 September 18, 2003 13:49 An Introduction to Mill’s Utilitarian Ethics wrong, this moral sense is sometimes thought to tell us in particular cases that an act is wrong (or right) as well as to tell us what general kinds of rules we ought to follow.
An Introduction to Mill's Utilitarian Ethics by Henry R. West