By Michael W. Lucas
The definitive consultant to OpenBSD
Foreword via Henning Brauer, OpenBSD PF Developer
OpenBSD, the based, hugely safe Unix-like working procedure, is well-known because the foundation for severe DNS servers, routers, firewalls, and extra. This long-awaited moment version of Absolute OpenBSD continues writer Michael Lucas's trademark ordinary and useful technique that readers have loved for years. You'll examine the intricacies of the platform, the technical info in the back of sure layout judgements, and most sensible practices, with bits of humor sprinkled all through. This version has been thoroughly up to date for OpenBSD 5.3, together with new insurance of OpenBSD's boot procedure, security measures like W^X and ProPolice, and complex networking techniques.
You'll find out how to:
* deal with community site visitors with VLANs, trunks, IPv6, and the PF packet filter
* Make software program administration speedy and powerful utilizing the ports and programs system
* provide clients simply the entry they want with teams, sudo, and chroots
* Configure OpenBSD's safe implementations of SNMP, DHCP, NTP, sensors, and more
* customise the set up and improve procedures in your community and undefined, or construct a customized OpenBSD release
Whether you're a brand new person searching for a whole advent to OpenBSD or an skilled sysadmin trying to find a refresher, Absolute OpenBSD, second Edition provides you with every thing you must grasp the intricacies of the world's safest working system.
"The definitive e-book on OpenBSD will get a long-overdue refresh."
-Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD Founder
Read Online or Download Absolute OpenBSD: UNIX for the Practical Paranoid (2nd Edition) PDF
Similar unix books
The foremost to learning any Unix procedure, specifically Linux and Mac OS X, is an intensive wisdom of shell scripting. Scripting is how to harness and customise the ability of any Unix procedure, and it's an important ability for any Unix clients, together with process directors OS X builders.
Sams educate your self Perl five in 21 Days is the precise ebook for newbie and intermediate point clients who are looking to achieve a fantastic realizing of this programming language. utilizing step by step tutorials, you will study every thing you want to find out about this renowned programming language. detect the best way to control textual content, generate studies, and practice approach projects.
Writer invoice Calkins is the top voice of this undefined, and he is once more added the appropriate learn significant other for UNIX process execs getting ready for the Solaris nine method Administrator assessments (310-014 and 310-015). Readers getting ready for this examination locate our education advisor sequence to be the best self-study device available in the market.
- BSD UNIX toolbox : 1000+ commands for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD power users
- Managing NFS and NIS
- Conquering the Command Line: Unix and Linux Commands for Developers
- Expert Shell Scripting
- Expert Shell Scripting
Additional info for Absolute OpenBSD: UNIX for the Practical Paranoid (2nd Edition)
I am aware of the irony; you don’t need to tell me. 2 Chapter 1 that you will work to improve your own knowledge so that you can make the system meet your needs. Other people make OpenBSD work correctly, and you can, too. That said, you may still find that a problem is quite real, but you can’t be certain that it was caused by OpenBSD itself until you understand correct behavior—not just how you think the system works, but how it really does work. The problem could be an OpenBSD bug, bad hardware, or an errant third-party tool.
Almost every part of OpenBSD has a man page. Viewing Man Pages View man pages with man(1). If you know the section number, enter it before the program name, but the section number isn’t mandatory. For example, to see the man page for the standard network utility ping(8), enter this: $ man ping You’ll get something like this in response. PING(8) OpenBSD System Manager's Manual NAME ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to network hosts 4 Chapter 1 PING(8) SYNOPSIS ping [-DdEefLnqRrv] [-c count] [-I ifaddr] [-i wait] [-l preload] [-p pattern] [-s packetsize] [-T tos] [-t ttl] [-V rtable] [-w maxwait] host DESCRIPTION ping uses the ICMP protocol's mandatory ECHO_REQUEST datagram to elicit an ICMP ECHO_REPLY from a host or gateway.
2. Of course, this doesn’t apply to anything on my blog. Everything I post is the one word of truth. org When the OpenBSD team learns of an OpenBSD security flaw, it posts a bulletin to this list. If you are running an OpenBSD machine on the Internet, you must subscribe to this list. I’ll say more about security-announce in Chapter 10. org This list contains general OpenBSD discussions. While this is the “miscellaneous” list, it still has strict rules, and the community firmly enforces its etiquette.
Absolute OpenBSD: UNIX for the Practical Paranoid (2nd Edition) by Michael W. Lucas